Thursday, August 2, 2018

Bachman's Sparrow Carving 112

I finally finished my carving of the Bachman's Sparrow I saw this spring at Jonathan Dickinson State Park, in Martin County, Florida. This carving was carved in my usual style of basswood, and then painted with acrylic paints. I made the legs out of wire and the eye is a german glass eye. I used a naturally charred piece of pine I found as its base and coated it with enamel to prevent any more decay and make it more durable.

A pic from my Instagram @pinecypressstudio showing the beginning stages of painting and preparation of the base.

More progress of the Bachman's Sparrow. This is my 112th bird carving, but only my 4th carving this year. Im trying to carve one bird a month depending on the size and use the addition time after Im finished to make more flat pieces. 

The Bachman's Sparrow is found in open pine woods where it feeds on the seeds of various native species of grasses and insects. Throughout much of its range it relies on wildfires, in the form of prescribed burns, to keeps its habitat open where grasses can flourish. Because of loss of habitat, the Bachman's Sparrow has become uncommon and quite local. 

Bachmans Sparrow
Peucaea aestivalis ssp. aestivalis
Carving 112 - Pond Cypress Studio
David K. Kramer

1 comment:

  1. Hello David, do you sell your carvings? I am a biologist/professor at FAU studying the songs of Bachman's sparrows at Jonathan Dickinson State Park, and I desperately need carvings of Bachman's sparrows for use in our research. Please let me know if yours are for sale. -Rindy Anderson andersonr@fau.edu

    ReplyDelete

I’m back!

 Hello Readers,  As everyone in the world knows, the last 2 years of the pandemic has been tumultuous and really threw a wrench in everythin...